The Village Charter School in Boise, Idaho is proud to announce the implementation of "The Leader in Me", through the Franklin Covey program. In 2011 & 2012, all our teachers attended five full days of The Leader in Me training from Franklin Covey. TVCS is following the required steps to become a Lighthouse School for Steven R. Covey’s The Leader in Me Program. The Leader in Me is an innovative, school-wide model that emphasizes a culture of student empowerment and helps unleash each child’s full potential. For more information, please visit http://www.theleaderinme.org/.
TVCS teaches and applies the 7 Habits in all grades, K-8, to teach effective leadership principles. By applying these habits, teachers and students internalize timeless leadership principles that nurture the skills students need for success in the 21st century. These include making good choices, getting along with others and managing time wisely.
The following excerpt is from franklincovey.com:
- Take initiative.
- Manage change.
- Respond proactively.
- Keep commitments.
- Take responsibility and practice accountability.
- Create positive education results.
Begin With the End in Mind®
- Define vision and values.
- Create a mission statement.
- Set measurable team and personal goals.
- Start projects successfully.
- Align goals to priorities.
- Focus on desired outcomes.
Put First Things First®
- Execute strategy.
- Apply effective delegation skills.
- Focus on important activities.
- Apply effective planning and prioritization skills.
- Balance key priorities.
- Eliminate low priorities and time-wasters.
- Use planning tools effectively.
- Use effective time-management skills.
- Build high-trust relationships.
- Build effective teams.
- Apply successful negotiation skills.
- Use effective collaboration.
- Build productive relationships.
Seek First to Understand Then to Be Understood®
- Apply effective interpersonal communication.
- Overcome communication pitfalls.
- Apply effective listening skills.
- Understand others.
- Reach mutual understanding.
- Communicate viewpoints effectively.
- Apply productive input and feedback.
- Apply effective persuasion techniques.
- Leverage diversity.
- Apply effective problem solving.
- Apply collaborative decision making.
- Value differences.
- Build on divergent strengths.
- Leverage creative collaboration.
- Embrace and leverage innovation.
Sharpen the Saw®
- Achieve life balance.
- Apply continuous improvement.
- Seek continuous learning.
The following excerpt is from theleaderinme.org:
One of the world’s most influential writers, Stephen R. Covey presents an inspiring model for teaching personal leadership to all ages – even to students as young as five years old.
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is a phenomenon that has spread through corporations, governments and non-profit institutions across the globe, profoundly influencing organizational success and personal effectiveness.Millions of copies have been sold and even more lives have been changed by the timeless teachings.
In 1999, A.B. Combs Elementary School in Raleigh, NC decided to apply the invaluable lessons of the 7 Habits to its curriculum and culture. The results were stunning. In just over one year, average end-of-year passing grades for students catapulted from 84 to 94 percent. Discipline problems dropped significantly. Parents began reporting incredible shifts in their children’s attitudes and behaviors. Students began problem solving and engaging in more positive ways with each other.
Today, the school’s success continues to soar, and now other schools around the world have adopted the approach and are experiencing equally inspiring results. Business leaders are jumping on board to support this truly unique process that holds great potential for empowering students with the skills they need to thrive in the twenty-first century.
The Leader in Me captures the story of how this all came about and how it is continuing to spread. An inspiration for schools, business leaders, and parents alike, it demonstrates how these ageless life principles can have a profound impact on every facet of life.